Learn ASL in the heart of the Deaf community. Begin your discovery and exploration of the Deaf community and its culture by learning its language and means of expression. You will have fun, learn a new way to communicate and challenge yourself in a meaningful way.
American Sign Language (ASL) Classes
Our classes allow people to learn ASL—enabling communication with their family members, employees, friends and more.
Immersive Learning Experience
The classes are immersive—at the first class there will be an ASL interpreter on-site, after that the classes are ASL only. ASL will be used to communicate in class between the students and their Deaf instructors.
We are currently offering an in-person class at two different locations—San Leandro and San Jose. The same class will be taught at both locations.
- The class is designed for a beginner—someone with little to no experience with ASL. The instructor will begin by introducing the alphabet, numbers and some basic signs and phrases.
- Classes are six weeks long—with one class meeting a week. Each class meeting is two hours long.
- Classes offered are based on enrollment (how many paid students we have). The classes begin with the first level. Before the end of the first level we will send out the link to pay for the second class to the first level students. If enough students register, we will offer the second level after the end of the first level. And then the third level after the second—and so on…
- The classes are designed to be taught at six levels.
- At the end of the sixth level, in about a year, students will have an understanding of conversational ASL.
- The fee for one student to take one six-week session is $130.
- We are currently unable to offer any reduced-fee or free classes. The funds we raise from these classes go directly to support the services we provide the Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Late-Deafened and DeafBlind (D/HH/LD/DB) community.
- Our classes are designed for adults. Teenagers may take this class if accompanied by a parent or guardian. This parent or guardian must remain on the premises with their teenager. Please notify us at the time of registration if someone under the age of 18 will be taking the class. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide childcare for parents with small children who want to take the class.
- Online classes are not available at this time. We are working to combine the quality of our in-person classes with the technology required for an online class. We hope to begin offering online classes at a later date.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about the ASL Class program, contact us and we will answer you shortly.