The Family Connections Manager provides advocacy-driven services within the Family Connections program that include working with Deaf/DeafBlind/Hard of Hearing/Late-Deafened (DDBHHLD) and hearing families with Deaf/DeafBlind/Hard of Hearing (DDBHH) children to ensure their access to education, services and resources.
- Advocate for communication access, appropriate accommodations and cultural understanding for their DDBHH children within the school system
- Provide advocacy to families regarding parents’ rights, individual education programs (IEP) and individual family service plans (IFSP). As needed work with legal Advocate.
- Accompany individuals and/or families who require communication assistance and/or support with social services agencies as well as during other legal proceedings
- Refer families to outside agencies for additional advocacy support
- Ensure completion of intake paperwork, individual service plans and database input
- Provide and/or facilitate advocacy-related workshops
- Find funding from different sources
- Supervise mentors
- Other duties as assigned by the director
- BA degree in Child Development, Psychology, Counseling, Social Work, Deaf Education, Deaf Studies, or related fields, OR 2 years of documented experience in education or service provision in a human services setting
- Fluent in American Sign Language (ASL) & positive cultural perception of Deaf people
- Knowledge of relevant issues and laws protecting the rights of deaf and hard of hearing individuals
- Supervision experience.
- Sound computer skills including word processing and database management
- Ability to work with people from a variety of racial, economic, linguistic, cultural, religious, and communication backgrounds
- Ability to use various social networking to raise awareness of advocacy-related issues
- Knowledgeable in social justice issues that affect DDBHHLD communities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work both as a team member and independently
- Must be able to travel with own vehicle or other transportation
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary is negotiable depending on experience and education. DCARA offers full medical, dental, vision and life insurance benefits in addition to 12 days of holiday leave plus one week paid winter holiday.
Send DCARA Application Form, cover letter, resume and three professional references via mail, email or fax to:
Attn: Human Resources
14895 E. 14TH Street, Suite 200
San Leandro, CA 94578
|JOB TITLE:||Family Connections Manager|
|REPORTS TO:||Deputy Director|
|LOCATION:||San Leandro, CA|