DCARA is seeking experienced Family Mentors around Bay Area and North Coast to provide family-centered, culturally and linguistically based, home visit services as part of the Family Connections program that works with families (deaf, hard of hearing, late deafened, and hearing) and their children (deaf or hearing) to ensure age appropriate language development and access to needed resources.
- Develop a mentoring service plan for each family with the goal of pre-school and kindergarten readiness
- Provide services outlined in the service plan including:
- Teach ASL to families
- Manage bilingual language development, tracking video and written documentation
- Deaf culture training,
- Connect families to the Deaf community through community events
- Refer families to outside agencies for additional support, as needed
- Revise and update service plans as needed.
- Involvement in family gathering events
- Fluency in ASL and a positive cultural perception of D/DB/HH/LD/h people
- BA degree in Child Development, Psychology, Counseling, Social Work, Deaf Education, Deaf Studies, or related fields, OR 2 years of documented experience in education or service provision in a human services setting.
- Knowledge in: child development; language development and milestones
- Strong teaching, communication, and written English skills
- At least 3 years’ experience with families
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work with people from a variety of racial, economic, linguistic, cultural, religious and communication backgrounds
- Sound computer skills including word processing
- Ability to work flexible hours including occasional evenings and weekends
- Access to a vehicle or transportation.
CONTRACT POSITION: This is a contract position, hourly rate is negotiable depending on experience and education.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Fill out the application form below -OR-
Send your cover letter and resume via mail, email or fax:
14895 E. 14th Street, Suite 200
San Leandro, CA 94578